Dienstag, 31. Mai 2016

No doubt about that.

 

When I doubt it has always something to do with myself and my abilities to get something done or to accomplish an idea. Maybe that is the pure function of doubt, to hold people back and not to achieve all of of their ideas. And maybe that isn't just me who feel that way.
I doubted that I could find motivation and inspiration to keep this writing challenge going. Maybe I still do. 
There is always something that gets in the way. And then again I doubt that I am persistent enough to follow through with it. 

Doubt is a dream killer. 

I have always dreamt about writing a children's book, but I've not done anything about it because I doubt that I can do it. 
Writing has always interested me, yet I feel it very difficult. I doubt I can concentrate that long. I doubt I have the patience and maybe the ideas. And I really doubt that I have the talent for it, so I doubt I ever get started as I am afraid to get that lack of talent confirmed and to fail. And then I fail because I am afraid of failing.

Doubt is riding along with me sitting on one of the shoulders, whispering into my ear: "you can't do that. Not got the talent. No one will be interested in your thoughts, better leave it be".

Thinking about it now, I doubt that I ever doubted that someone else would be able to do or achieve things. That's the odd thing about us humans. We never know what to do ourselves, but always know what other people should or should not do. No doubt about that.

Who taught us to doubt on our own abilities? If we were taught at all? Can the answer be found in what Freud called the "superego"?

"The superego consists of two systems: The conscience and the ideal self. The conscience can punish the ego through causing feelings of guilt. For example, if the ego gives in to the id's demands, the superego may make the person feel bad through guilt.

The ideal self (or ego-ideal) is an imaginary picture of how you ought to be, and represents career aspirations, how to treat other people, and how to behave as a member of society."

Or is it rather the normal "ego" battle with the "ID".

"If the ego fails in its attempt to use the reality principle, and anxiety is experienced, unconscious defence mechanisms are employed, to help ward off unpleasant feelings (i.e. anxiety) or make good things feel better for the individual.

The ego engages in secondary process thinking, which is rational, realistic, and orientated towards problem solving. If a plan of action does not work, then it is thought through again until a solution is found. This is know as reality testing, and enables the person to control their impulses and demonstrate self-control, via mastery of the ego."

One or another, I feel the answer lies somehow in between these two definitions. 

Doubt is an unconscious defence mechanism, it is reality testing and self control and it is the conscience and the ideal self.
Can be that it sometimes protect us, but for sure And it lead to a lot of failing or not at all trying, no doubt about that.

Source:
McLeod, S. A. (2016). Id, Ego and Superego. Retrieved from www.simplypsychology.org/psyche.html


Keine Kommentare: