Donnerstag, 6. April 2017

The Oman files: Touch down.

I asked for this me self, didn't I? Absoluty nothing to do here. That could be a nice thing some times. Just not when you want adventure.

Or entertainment.

Arrived at the sultan galaxy's biggest and most important settlement, Muscat, I realise it is not quite as romantic as I'd imagined it to be.

From being a small settlement around a tiny natural harbour to the modern capitol, the city Muscat of today have undergone one huge transformation, a transformation driven by one single catalyst: oil!

Maybe it does shine through. Yes. I am a bit disappointed about the Muscat I've found and the Muscat I thought I would find. Yes, I expected it to be somewhat modern an developed. What I didn't expect is how it is modern and developed and how much of this development is centred around the fossil fuel industry and a development of a culture of cars. Big cars.

By leaving Dump-bai, I hoped to get far away from that kind of culture and hoped to find something more balanced and sustainable.

I was wrong.

The modern Muscat I found is based on cars and cars having to park somewhere.

In the new Muscat the city planning is made with a huge amount of cars in mind and so there is no real atmosphere and to take a stroll through some interesting small or bigger streets with some sort of life and sense of character, is only to find in the very old part of town. However, to get there, you'll need to take a taxi or hope your hotel provide a a driver or a shuttle bus so you just need to waddle from your room to the bus, and from the bus to the souk or wherever the trips goes. That way you can easily avoid all those distracting "locals" and their odd culture.

Let's talk about sustainability.

Keine Kommentare: