Dienstag, 7. Juni 2016

Being invisible for one day?

If I could be invisible for a day, nobody would see me and I could probably get away with a whole bunch of different things.
But what would I do?
Let me reflect on it for a short time, and while I am doing that, I want you to do likewise. Think what would YOU do if you were invisible for one day?

Yes, I would probably at some stage go into the female changing room at a swimming pool and has a seat for a little time. On the other hand, on what grounds would I do so?

Strictly speaking, it is not as easy let alone as obvious to get the head around what I would do. I thought of the idea that I could attempt to get onto a plane and goes off somewhere exotic and interesting. However, what will I gain from that, I mean, for one day only?
One day is nothing. If for example, I had an urge to fly to Europe or to the United States from where I live, even more than half of a day or night would have past by the time I get there. Then I'll need to return again before the day I was invisible would have past, not to suddenly turn visible in some embarrassing situation. 
Anyway, I will need to head back without even having the time to get a burger in a greasy diner joint - if it were to be the US - or a freshly baked homemade pizza in some little trattoria in a wee side street to the Trevi fountain in the eternal of Rome. 
So what would I gain from that invisible experiment?
Just say I was an Italian and invisible, I could get that pizza because I wouldn't need to travel and even so have enough time to visit the swimming pool and changing room. However, would I want to get that pizza. No, if I am an Italian, why on earth should I preferred to get pizza even if I was invisible and imaginable could get anything I might want? 
I guess rather not.

Next question of corse. Would an invisible person even be capable of ordering any pizza or any food in that regard? 
Just imagine you being the pizza baker or the waiter at that trattoria. You are there on your job. A couple of tables are full with locals and at other tables, some random tourists found their way inside and are enjoying the pizzas, paste a and wine.
The invisible person steps in - do I have the need to say 'unseen'?- and sits at an empty table. How could an invisible person call for the waiter to order? There would probably be some confusion in the room if suddenly a voice out of nowhere would burst through all the sociable chitty chat. 
Nothing I would guess. The locals would think it's just the visitors and the visitors..? You get it.

Then imagine the invisible having enough of it all and steps up to the desk and the waiter to inquire about getting served? 

"Please could I have a prosciutto and Parma ham pizza with extra garlic and Gorgonzola, please?"

Yes, imagine that. What would you do? You are at work. Everything is normal. Folk in your trattoria chatting, eating pizza and pasta, maybe having some wine and the atmosphere is not bad at all and you are standing there in your own thoughts, waiting for the next sign and order from the guests you can see at the tables around the room. Suddenly you start hearing a voice. A voice out of nowhere apparently, except close. A voice demanding prosciutto and Parma ham pizza with extra garlic and Gorgonzola, please? 

Maybe you did have some wine last evening? Maybe -just as it is Italy- you'd had quite some wine yesterday, and some already today just the same -it is Italy isn't it- and maybe you have been thinking for quite a long time, that maybe you need to cut back on all that booze a bit, and then you experience this voice from nowhere, pondering in your head "prosciutto and Parma ham pizza with extra garlic and Gorgonzola, please?"

We'll leave this imaginary story for the moment and moves back to the main story again. We were on this flight, this long haul flight from  where I live and to Europe or the U.S. and I am, as you recall, invisible.

Should it be a full flight, that many of them is now, I would be bound to stand up through and through the flight, outbound as inbound. Standing and always beware not to be in someone's way, which, as frequent travelers would recognise, is pretty dammed difficult not to be on a flight, when standing around in the aisles.
 Should there be any empty seats, well, I could sit there I suppose, but I wouldn't be able to use the onboard entertainment system, as that would be too spooky if that suddenly would blast out light and sound without anyone sitting tinkering with it.

So, no. I would not slip into any plane to go anyplace if I was invisible for one day.

In fact, I still do not really know what I would do.

What about you?

Keine Kommentare: