Sonntag, 7. August 2016

One second.

"A sunbeam strikes a dark haired woman in a ultra tight white dress just as she strips herself naked next to one of the pillars supporting the bridge as you drive through it."

You can get an app for your smart phone called "One Second a Day". That app will allow you to capture one second video snippet and assemble these snippets into a longer video. 

What if you want to do a "one second a day" as a writing exercise or short story?
It will take a lot longer, and it wouldn't be realtime playing it back or reading it as with the video option.
In the video option one month will at the most be 31 seconds. How long would it take explaining one second in words?

Anyway and back and forth with words. I'm going to try to explain some of my one second revelations, thoughts or wonderings that has occurred during this summer trip to Italy.

The first one second blink that is etched into my memory -and will be for a very long time- was cinematic surreal. It was one of those moments you maybe dream in one of your most secret fantasies or that you could come up with if you are a real good writer. For sure, this one thing isn't what you think will ever happen to you, but suddenly it is playing out in front of your very own eyes like it was in slow-motion.

This first one second happened on our trip from the mountains in the Abruzzi region of Italy, to the town of Vieste at the Adriatic Sea in the Puglia region.
However, the second I remember goes like this:

"A sunbeam strikes a dark haired woman in a ultra tight white dress just as she strips herself naked by the side of one of the pillars supporting the bridge as we pass under it."

Fortunately, no accident happened. There could have, I guess, if I'd decided to glance some more and take my eyes of the road for longer than that second. My tai tai (wife) didn't see it, however she saw all that followed, which in it self would have been some other worthy seconds as well.

To explain the real circumstances, I need to rewind the tape a couple of minutes.

We were on this road going south along the east coast of Italy.
Nothing much had been happening, the road was quiet and only one truck in front of us and our car. Further ahead, a bridge crossing over the road and I am looking for an opportunity to overtake the truck. The road ahead is free so I got out r to start driving past that truck. Ahead the bridge in the shimmering sun. A silhouette of a truck parked at the right side under it and two silhouettes of humans crossing the road to the other side, under that bridge. Distorted and blurred by the immense heat from the road like a superior mirage in the dessert.

In my mind I saw a man and a woman. Then the male stopped to turn back to the truck on the side. The female figure continued across and started raising her arms above her head.
Our car was now so close that I could see the figure clearly. And I could see her pulling her dress up above her head. First I didn't believe my eyes. Thought I were daydreaming. I blinked a couple of times and opened my eyes again, still she was dragging the dress further and further above her head and I could now see her underpants and naked lower back. Soon her thick dark hair got free from the tight dress above her head and as her arms came down with the white dress in one hand, her hair fell back down on her suntanned back which was beaming in the sun beam. 
I got my eyes back on the road. Couldn't really believe what I've just seen. Wasn't sure I'd actually seen it, however I wasn't particularly tired and couldn't have had some sort of hallucination. Shortly after on the left side of the road, I saw a big sun umbrella with two ladies sitting looking out, and then I knew what it was all about. I asked Catriona if she'd seen anything, she hadn't and as I described what I'd seen she didn't believe it. Then suddenly, on the right side of the road, in a parking spot, stood this woman and made very clear copulating gestures towards the oncoming traffic and us.
Silence for a bit in our car, then laughter. 

As we turned off the road and toward our new destination, one last lady was offering "happy endings" at the road side.


Keine Kommentare: